If you reqiure an appointment on the day for an acute problem please call between 8.30am - 9.30am.
To maintain continuity of care, the Reception Team can now book you an appointment to see your own Doctor
2-4 weeks in advance.
These appointments are for ongoing treatment and conditions where seeing your usual Doctors is important to your continuing care.
We will still have Doctors available for you to see on the day for any acute problems that need more urgent attention.
We also now have Saturday morning appointments available to pre-book for those patients that find it difficult to attend during the normal working day.
This is a new initiative across Somerset whereby patients can make appointments at extended times (up until 8pm at night Monday-Friday and on Saturday mornings) at other practices across the local area. Practices working together to deliver extended access to appointments are listed below.
Appointment types will vary, some being face to face and some on the 'phone and there will be a mixture of pre-bookable and same day appointments available across the week. They may be with a doctor but could also be with another healthcare professional such as a primary care practitioner, health coach or a nurse. We are keen to balance the importance of continuity of care with convenient access for patients whilst ensuring that the service is safe.
To book an evening or weekend appointment please contact your registered practice during normal opening times, this will help us to signpost you to the most appropriate option for your particular problem. By contacting us we can fully explain the process, ensure that the booking is appropriate (as we hope to be able to meet your needs by offering an appointment with your usual GP) and cover all the relevant information (and consent) that we need to before we book an appointment for you. Further information is shown below:
Abbey Manor Medical Practice, Yeovil
Church Street Surgery, Martock
Crewkerne Health Centre
Hamdon Medical Centre, Stoke Sub Hamdon
Hendford Lodge Medical Centre, Yeovil
Oaklands Surgery, Yeovil
Penn Hill Surgery, Yeovil
Preston Grove Medical Centre, Yeovil
Ryalls Park Medical Centre, Yeovil
The Ilchester Surgery, Yeovil
Buttercross Health Centre, Somerton
These are always available to book up to 1 month in advance.
In order to help you most effectively, the Doctors have requested that our reception team ask you for a little more information when you are booking appointments. When you next ring for an appointment, please help us to help you by giving us as much information as you feel able. It isn’t always necessary to see your Doctor, as we have other health professionals who can also help.
- Specialist trained nurses, who can deal with minor illness and childhood ailments
- Reception can deal with some requests directly e.g. sick notes, prescription queries, test results and hospital enquiries.
- We have trained nurses who specialise in diabetes, asthma, family planning, sexual health, coronary heart disease and travel vaccinations. Our Healthcare Assistants can help with blood pressures and blood tests.
- Some problems can also be dealt with by your Doctor over the telephone.
- For advice & help from a Nurse/Doctor 24 hours a day you can contact, NHS DIRECT on 0845 46 47.
- Did you also know a new Minor Ailments Scheme is operating within pharmacies, which means you can get medicines from a local pharmacy for some minor ailments instead of waiting for a GP appointment or prescription/antibiotics. Normal prescription charges or if you are exempt, apply (conjunctivitis, cystitis, thrush, impetigo, hay fever, athletes foot, ringworm, headache, cough, fever, sore throat.)
- Acute eyecare problems - can be assessed through your local optician (Boots, Harts and Robert Frith). Designed for recent eye problems and you can contact the optcian direct for, red eyes, pain, flashes and floaters, mild trauma, foreign body, recent double vision, significant discharge or watering of the eye.
You can book appointments on the day but we also have a number of appointments you can book in advance - 2/3 days ahead & two/three weeks ahead. Please tell us your preferred option when you call.